16.9.09

ready to swing

okay perhaps now you have noticed more or less I changed my songs on my playlist.(factually, I constantly change them though) Any of you annoyed of the sudden noise the moment you step into my blog? Don't worry folks, just tell me and I wouldn't mind :) Anyway, some of the songs on the playlist are songs from Malaysian artists (though I did put Indonesian's too) I don't know whether you have any idea who they are, but let us acknowledge, Yuna Zarai and Zee Avi :)

yuna zarai Pictures, Images and Photosyuna Pictures, Images and Photos
Yuna inside her store in London, Iamjetfuel.

Yuna Zarai, an indie musician and a songwriter, has been quite a hit in Malaysia indie scene since appearing with breezy, easy flowing song in Malay "Dan Sebenarnya" (first song on my playlist) Her other song, Rocket, has been aired frequently in both Indonesia and Malaysia. Firstly I must say that I love her music, sounds mostly like Feist and other acoustic and folk-rock artists, which are my favourites too. Secondly, I love her voice. Calm and crystal clear, and a little bit jazzy. And not forgetting her style, which is just clever but not too overwhelming. More about her, just click her myspace


Zee Avi, 23, is another Malaysian talent. Her music is said to be inspired by 1920'3 and 1930's swing and jazz. "With an eclectic pool of influences that range from such eccentrics as Cat Power, Regina Spektor, Leonard Cohen, Tom Waits, Jolie Holland, Daniel Johnston and Chris Garneau, to jazz greats Billie Holiday and Ella Fitzgerald, to classics like Velvet Underground and Led Zeppelin, this self-described "rock lover at heart" captures the dark, bittersweet qualities of romance with a crack left open for hope and optimism." She is known for sweet melodies with bitter lyrics, which I enjoyed the most. Listen to my favourite, Bitter Heart, which is featured on my playlist too! More about her at her official website



Enjoying them? I know the tension has increased nowadays between these two neighbouring countries. I'm not taking side, though you sure know I come from one of them, Indonesia. That doesn't mean that I have less love for my country than you do, it's just better to show them by being supportive and lifting the good name of our country by not mocking another country with shallow vain. Some of us are just easily provoked, but I believe there are some people like me, too, in both Indonesia and Malaysia, who are open-minded and rational enough to view the matters objectively from better perspective. Not intending to sound like "teaching" you guys, it's just unwise to let the tension present without proper reasons.So, cease the fire, and ready to swing with the music! Indonesia and Malaysia, both have widely ranging talented music, sometimes it's just you never know, or never want to know. So, are you with me?

4 comments:

  1. yuna ini yg ada di playlist lo kan sup? bagus deeeh gue kira orang indonesia hehe minta lagunya dumz ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. iya nda di limewire ada kok kalo engga nanti kalo lo ol lo minta saja pada gue hehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. hye. im malaysian. im enjoying the songs from your country.

    we have to open our mind to love each other. we are born to support each other. i adore Indonesian teens because of their creativity!

    tengs fo the yuna & zee avi

    love;

    ReplyDelete
  4. hi,

    i'm from Malaysia.

    i'm happy that u support Malaysia singers. i like yuna very much. she's very talented.

    i do listen to Indonesia songs too. i love nidji.

    music is not where the singer come from, it's what the music they bring that make our life more colorful!

    peace ;)

    ReplyDelete